Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

First use of my Glorious Spare Tire

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I haven't heard anyone make mention of ever using the spare tire although I'm sure that someone has somewhere. LOL

It's been more than a decade since I've had a blow out but it was much easier then expected, honestly.

I hit a massive pot hole and the TPMS went off immediately.

20 minutes later and I was on my way!

NOTES:

1) The temporary tire has a sticker that says to stay under 50mph..... in a Stinger.... really??? LOLOLOL
2) The alloy rim is pretty nice looking for a spare
3) The car was pulling pretty hard because I have AWD. I pulled the AWD fuse that I talked about HERE in the forum and now she rolls straight in RWD.
4) Tires are expensive LOL

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Glad it's there when you need it. I've contemplated a few times to remove it to save weight.[:I]

I haven't heard anyone make mention of ever using the spare tire although I'm sure that someone has somewhere. LOL

It's been more than a decade since I've had a blow out but it was much easier then expected, honestly.

NOTES:

1) The temporary tire has a sticker that says to stay under 50mph..... in a Stinger.... really??? LOLOLOL
3) The car was pulling pretty hard because I have AWD. I pulled the AWD fuse that I talked about HERE in the forum and now she rolls straight in RWD.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Yup. It's the nicest compact spare I've ever seen. Still leaks like crazy like every other 60psi tire.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I used mine a while back and I was pretty surprised that the wheel is made of aluminum. Most spare tires are limited in speed because they're only supposed to get you to home or to a shop. "Temporary" is the key word, but I'm sure you already knew that[:p]

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
The last time I changed my tire was back in 2002. I had a ford F150 I built into a pre runner an had 35's on it. I took my spare tire out of my Stinger, that rim and tire is heavy, it look good but it weighs to much. Your right [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] those tires are costly, you mite want to steer clear of potholes and objects on the road. Hitting pothole with your car is hard on your steer, suspension and also could brake your rims.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1

NOTES:

Any videos of you doing donuts in the parking lot with it????

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Speaking of spare, how often are we supposed to maintain it?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
My buddy who is a mechanic told me every time you put air in your tires you should check your spare.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Same with any spare. 60psi tires leak down pretty quick, so any time you check your tires and at least once a season. A spare will leak down to 40psi within a few months, at which point it's only useful for keeping the disc brake off the pavement.

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #11
[mad]

I hit ANOTHER @&&@#$*%@&@ pothole last night!!!!!

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
[mad]

I hit ANOTHER @&&@#$*%@&@ pothole last night!!!!!
When I was stationed in upstate New York at Fort drum for three years, why I drove their, Wisconsin, Chicago, Pennsylvania and New York have the crappiest roads. I hope you didn't damage your car.

OP
MurlinatoR

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thread Starter #15
Did you damage the wheels?
Nope. Wheel is fine. Just cut the sidewall. There is a surprisingly think area of the Pilot Sport tires right where the sidewall curves into the tread. I mean, it's only like 3/16" thick. *shrugs*

Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 G70
Can anyone post a picture of the spare tire space???? I am having a VERY hard time with fitting my wheelchair in (haven't picked up the car yet) and I was wondering if the floor of the trunk can be modified/customized to lower it a few inches....