Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

FMIC question

Reactions
Hey guys, just a bit of a noob question about doing a FMIC. I got the BMS FMIC and installed it yesterday, so I have been running around with it for about 1 day now. There appears to be a bit of low end loss, is this normal, or does the ECU have to go though a learning curve with the difference in air flow from the new FMIC. Thanks for any input, as this is the first time i have modded an boosted car....

Sean

Spooby

Reactions
City
Prince Frederick
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ceramic Silver Stinger GT2
Hey guys, just a bit of a noob question about doing a FMIC. I got the BMS FMIC and installed it yesterday, so I have been running around with it for about 1 day now. There appears to be a bit of low end loss, is this normal, or does the ECU have to go though a learning curve with the difference in air flow from the new FMIC. Thanks for any input, as this is the first time i have modded an boosted car....

Sean
Hey Sean,

So you are losing pressure because of the intercooler. You now need more air pressure flowing through to make up for the difference. An intercooler upgrade should happen after basic bolt-ons have been added. However, that loss isn't necessarily a bad thing thing just physics. As you move towards more upgrades such as piggy back or flash tune, you will notice the low end return with a higher volume of air being moved in the low end. It's similar to water pressure in your house. Think of it as a garden hose, where if you install a skinnier hose, the water pressure hasn't changed but the water might come out a little quicker. If you put on a larger hose at the same length then the water has more area to fill within the hose this initially slowing it down. Increase water pressure at the source (your home) and the larger hose will put perform the thinner one all day. Much like your engine, increase the boost (and fueling) and you will take full advantage of that intercooler. Remember, an intercooler upgrade is primarily for cooling charged air before it enters the manifold and then your motor for more efficient combustion. So without a tune or REALLY hot intake air temps, you probably won't notice it doing much. A lot of people in the "tuner" world really install intercoolers as a preventative measure before or while adding more boost. More boost=more heat due to the air traveling faster, thus a larger intercooler core is needed to cool that larger volume. Hope this helps

-Brett

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
Sean R
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I guess I should have added that I'm currently running jb4 tune 2..with hks plugs, thus the reason I went for the burger fmic. What I have noticed is after 200 miles or so, it's seems to have gone through a relearn and drive seems much more even....

Spooby

Reactions
City
Prince Frederick
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ceramic Silver Stinger GT2
I guess I should have added that I'm currently running jb4 tune 2..with hks plugs, thus the reason I went for the burger fmic. What I have noticed is after 200 miles or so, it's seems to have gone through a relearn and drive seems much more even....
Gotcha, sorry for the paragraph then lol Short answer, yes there will be a small amount of "learning" depending on the modification.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk