Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

Hissing sound from brake pedal?

tdoyon

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
My 2018 GT2 AWD developed an intermittent problem today. I was about a mile from my destination when the brake pedal began making a thud thud sound followed by hissing. The hissing stopped when I got off the brake pedal. It happened one more time but then stopped on subsequent tests (as I circled around the block trying to replicate it). The car hit 12,500 miles today and driving behind a Stinger in the Boston area is certainly not kind to the brakes... but this is a new one for me. I tried to check the brake fluid but can't figure out how to remove the black plastic around it (seriously Kia? seriously?????!!!!).

Is there a way to remove that black plastic? Is there something I should check aside from the brake fluid?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
How often do you drive your car? Does it sit outside?
Possibility is that the discs developed surface rust from getting wet and then sitting. All the hissing you heard could have been the pads grinding the rust off.
Seeing that you have a 2018 and it only has a little over 12k miles on it, it may just have build up on the discs.

OP
T

tdoyon

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
How often do you drive your car? Does it sit outside?
Possibility is that the discs developed surface rust from getting wet and then sitting. All the hissing you heard could have been the pads grinding the rust off.
Seeing that you have a 2018 and it only has a little over 12k miles on it, it may just have build up on the discs.
Not a bad idea but I had just driven into Boston and back (40 minutes one way) and I would have burned off the rust earlier avoiding an idiot in a white outback crossing over the double yellow lines. I would have burned off the rust before ever getting onto the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
You’re right. That wouldn’t be it then. My wife’s car made a scraping sound when braking recently also. Hasn’t made it since though.
Keep an ear out for it to make that sound again. You might be able to track it down