Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

JB4 installed. Now to remove the governor??

Reactions
City
Palisades Park
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Anyone now how to remove the governor (speed restrictor) on a ‘18 Stinger 3.3L? Just installed the JB4 450 WHP kit and my car tops out at 134 MPH. I know it can go more but it’s restricted. Any takers?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome, as far as I know the speed restriction or governor is in the ECU & the only way to remove it is with a flash tune.

OP
Officer_Peps
Reactions
City
Palisades Park
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #3
Welcome, as far as I know the speed restriction or governor is in the ECU & the only way to remove it is with a flash tune.
Flash Tune??? How do I do that? Or can’t I? It’s so annoying.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Yes a Flash Tune, there are a couple company's out there that can remove it. Tork Motorsports is one of them & Lap 3 I do believe can do it as well.

They put the limiters on the car because of the winter tires. Mine came with the summer tires an it's governed at 168.

Rat Fink

Reactions
City
Alpharetta
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 Lexus
Yes a Flash Tune, there are a couple company's out there that can remove it. Tork Motorsports is one of them & Lap 3 I do believe can do it as well.

They put the limiters on the car because of the winter tires. Mine came with the summer tires an it's governed at 168.
Spider55, time for me to show my ignorance. How would I determine where my governor is set? I got my car used with 35k on the clock and it had summer tires on it.

OP
Officer_Peps
Reactions
City
Palisades Park
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #6
Drive your car, if you go past 134mph then it’s set at 168mph. There are only two limits they did on the Stinger. That’s because the tires they put on the car only have that type of speed rating.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Spider55, time for me to show my ignorance. How would I determine where my governor is set? I got my car used with 35k on the clock and it had summer tires on it.
Look up the history of the car, go back to when it was sold to see what tire's the car came with or take it out take it up to 134+. A lot of the cars sold on the east coast were sold with all season tires so there governed at 134.