Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

LAP3 Uncle Chip review

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Kia Stinger LAP3 Uncle Chip review
So I received and installed my Uncle Chip yesterday. I know there have been some questions about how to install, but trust me, it really is simple; it truly is a 5 minute job, even for the non-mechanical. I'll go over it in a sec.

What you really want to know is whether it actually works, right? Let's just say I had reactions similar to these: [shameful] [unsurelaugh] [biggrin] [rofl] [ohcrap][giddy]
The V6 was already incredible; the thing is now an absolute BEAST.

Honestly I was hoping it would wake it up more in comfort mode, but it's still a little groggy. Perfectly fine for around town, leisurely, economical driving but it lugs a bit too much for my taste. Throw it in sport or custom (which I have set to match sport, except for the suspension), and it's wide awake and ready. If you come across a safe stretch of road and punch it, it's unlike anything in the class; the pull reminds me very much of either the M3 or ATS-v. It's unrelenting power; I was pushed back so hard I literally felt the seat move under the weight shift. Somewhere in the rev range, it now takes on a vtec like surge and the pitch of the engine changes to a howl. I'll do my best to get a video but you really have to experience it to believe it.

Back to installation; mirroring what [MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION] mentioned in the installation thread, the first connection is right in the front on the intercooler tube and you will need to remove the engine cover to expose the second. It's on the top of the engine, near the back, on the left side. Remove the OEM connector and insert the one from the chip that matches the OEM; then you'll insert the OEM into the OTHER end. Repeat this for both sensors.

The thing to remember before connecting any sensor, though, is to make sure the chip is set for the proper/desired octane. To do this, you'll need to open the chip, slide the inside out and turn the number dials to the proper selection (for instance, 6-6-6 for 93 octane).

Hope this helps a little. If you're looking to add quick, insane power, this is a good (and supposedly safe) way to get it. [thumb]

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #2
[video=youtube_share;FwyBLJ-xSLs]https://youtu.be/FwyBLJ-xSLs[/video]

Attachments

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
No other mods. I hope I can stop at just this one.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
Great review [MENTION=48]TurboTx[/MENTION] can you post some photos of where it plugs into? I?m quite surprised lap3 doesn?t provide any instructions even if it?s easy.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thats good news, I am glad it worked for you.

What setting did you go with?

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #7
Thats good news, I am glad it worked for you.

What setting did you go with?
I went with the 93 octane setting. I had to disconnect it and go back in to change it and I'm glad I did.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
Looking forward to your drag racing vids [MENTION=48]TurboTx[/MENTION]

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Maybe try a before/after dyno so we can see real world gains. I cant remember if [MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION] had numbers but it'd be a cool statistic to have.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I'm curious about your Comfort mode observations as I drive in that or Eco mode a lot when stuck in town or driving others around. Are you saying that things don't seem to be perked up as much or has it created a change that makes using those modes uncomfortable, whether it's the feel or how it sounds, etc.? Thanks!

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #11
As requested, here are the two sensors; the first one is down front, the second one is under the cover, upper left side of the engine (picture was taken with me standing to the side, rather than from the front):

Attachments

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #12
I'm curious about your Comfort mode observations as I drive in that or Eco mode a lot when stuck in town or driving others around. Are you saying that things don't seem to be perked up as much or has it created a change that makes using those modes uncomfortable, whether it's the feel or how it sounds, etc.? Thanks!
I guess what I mean is my butt-dyno feels no change at all in Comfort; it basically feels the same as it did before the chip. I've tried Smart, Eco and Comfort and they're still acceptable for easy driving, but there doesn't seem to be any added power. All the gains appear in Sport or Custom, or as I now call them, Beast Modes.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
As requested, here are the two sensors; the first one is down front, the second one is under the cover, upper left side of the engine (picture was taken with me standing to the side, rather than from the front):
Thank you!

English D

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
did you change plugs and ad a catch can? as they recommend

Shtinger

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT Limited AWD
I was under the impression... that.. the stock ecu relearns over what the piggyback provides in terms of gains... and in something like 5 days time whatever gains were had from I'm guessing increase in boost.. are nullified. . Because computer sees added boost and adjusts back to stock... which is why most people are waiting for the flash tune... someone correct me please if I'm wrong...

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I guess what I mean is my butt-dyno feels no change at all in Comfort; it basically feels the same as it did before the chip. I've tried Smart, Eco and Comfort and they're still acceptable for easy driving, but there doesn't seem to be any added power. All the gains appear in Sport or Custom, or as I now call them, Beast Modes.
Excellent! Thanks!

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #17
did you change plugs and ad a catch can? as they recommend
I read in another thread that plugs weren't needed. I forgot to ask about a catch can though (and I'm just a little ashamed to admit I STILL don't even know what a catch can is or its purpose). I'll ask around and if its necessary I'll add one soon....

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I read in another thread that plugs weren't needed. I forgot to ask about a catch can though (and I'm just a little ashamed to admit I STILL don't even know what a catch can is or its purpose). I'll ask around and if its necessary I'll add one soon....
LOL I felt the same way until about 2 weeks ago. So, here's what I learned and what I believe it's for.

The engine has piston rings and seals to keep the oil in the block and out of the combustion chamber. But, with HIGH air volumes pushed by the turbo chargers, sometimes the air blows by the rings and seals and into the crankcase. That excess air has to leave the crankcase and is expelled though the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventillation) valve. This valve allows the excess air in the crankcase to RETURN to the air intake. When this motor with a turbo blowing lots of extra air into it, oil vapors get blown out through the PCV valve and back into the intake and then all over the turbo and the intake valves and lifters on top of the engine. That oil then causes problems.

So, a catch can is a canister that takes that excess air being blown out though the PCV valve and allows the oil to condense there. The clean air then returns to the intake to be consumed.

Now, if I've misunderstood something, please someone with the correct info fix what I said. LMBO

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #19
LOL I felt the same way until about 2 weeks ago. So, here's what I learned and what I believe it's for.

The engine has piston rings and seals to keep the oil in the block and out of the combustion chamber. But, with HIGH air volumes pushed by the turbo chargers, sometimes the air blows by the rings and seals and into the crankcase. That excess air has to leave the crankcase and is expelled though the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventillation) valve. This valve allows the excess air in the crankcase to RETURN to the air intake. When this motor with a turbo blowing lots of extra air into it, oil vapors get blown out through the PCV valve and back into the intake and then all over the turbo and the intake valves and lifters on top of the engine. That oil then causes problems.

So, a catch can is a canister that takes that excess air being blown out though the PCV valve and allows the oil to condense there. The clean air then returns to the intake to be consumed.

Now, if I've misunderstood something, please someone with the correct info fix what I said. LMBO
Thank you, that was a great explanation. I actually get it now. [like]