Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Ready to Pull the trigger. I hope someone can help.

TeeWadeGee

Reactions
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Charger RT w/ Super Track Pack
Hello. How is everyone doing ? ? Hope everyone is enjoying their day.

I am looking for advice that I just can not find after looking for a week or two.

I have been forced into this frustrating car market we have currently. My paid for 2012 Charger RT Road and Track with Super Track was flooded out and will be totaled.

Normally I love car shopping because I already know what I’m going to get but this time is a bit different because of what this new car will be used for and the current state of the car market.

The 2022 Stinger GT-Line RWD is one of two cars I have decided on.

something I find very frustrating is the lack of reviews or testing or any information available for the 2022 GT-Line. We get the brochure stuff that’s it.

Anyway, this is going to be my car I use for work. I drive for a living. I drive hundreds of miles a day 2-6 days a week. Sometimes I am in the car all day long.

since June 29th I put, 7300 miles on, and I was on pace to hit 73k miles this year so I will be driving a lot lot.

I was curious if there are any owners out there with this model who are exceeding EPA fuel mileage ? ? Does octane rating effect what your seein?

a couple dealers around me said they will let me take the car for an hour or two but finding the time to do that is what is getting in the way.

i also wanted to confirm that this does not have the wet dual clutch correct ?

Last by not least I hope I don’t get clowned but the other car I have decided on is the 2021 Jetta GLI. so it’s between these two.

The GLI has active suspension, LSD and can easily exceed the EPA recommended fuel mileage. 40mpg @ 75mph on 87 octane with a my gear in the back is easily obtainable.

Both cars exceeded my expectations but the Stinger is much quicker and much more comfortable on the highway. It closer to what I am used to driving as for as the interior dimensions from behind the wheel.

For what both of these cars offer is pretty substantial.

I really really love the engine in the Kia. Don’t get me wrong I love the 3.3 more but with how much I drive the 2.5 is going to save me thousands at the pump every year.

One thing that really shocked me was my window that I carry with me everyday easily fit into the GLI trunk but it did not fit in the Stinger without letting the seats down.

not only did my main window fit in the GLI trunk but it fits in there with all my other stuff to.

But, for the size, looks, power, efficiency, warranty you get on the Stinger I think I could over look that.

if anyone is exceeding the EPA please let me know. Or chime in with anything if you want.

thanks in advance

Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
I know you asked for the exact model, but I have a 2018 GT2, and I routinely get over 30 MPG when I use my cruise control and hold it between 77mph and 82mph. I always have it in sport mode due to my preference for that throttle response and suspension. I have not tried ECO mode for long distance yet. However, I will be making a 200 mile trip in the next week or two and I can provide my results from that if you'd like.

OP
T

TeeWadeGee

Reactions
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Charger RT w/ Super Track Pack
Thread Starter #3
I know you asked for the exact model, but I have a 2018 GT2, and I routinely get over 30 MPG when I use my cruise control and hold it between 77mph and 82mph. I always have it in sport mode due to my preference for that throttle response and suspension. I have not tried ECO mode for long distance yet. However, I will be making a 200 mile trip in the next week or two and I can provide my results from that if you'd like.
yea that would be great.
If you don’t mind me asking where do you live ? ?

I am guessing with the GT2 you running premium? Would I need to run premium in the new 2.5T?

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
KIA recommends 91 across the board.

2022 KIA Stinger Owner's Manual
Fuel requirements
For the optimal engine perfor-
mance, we recommend you use
unleaded gasoline which has an
octane rating of RON (Research
0ctane Number) 95/AKI (Anti Knock
Index) 91 or higher.

Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
yea that would be great.

I am guessing with the GT2 you running premium? Would I need to run premium in the new 2.5T?
I live in North DFW so the terrain is rather flat, and I do use Premium gas either 91 or 93 octane. I have the 3.3TT. However, any turbo engine runs under high compression and premium gas is specifically designed for high compression engines. If you put low grade gas in a high compression engine you are more likely to get knocking and pinging due to pre-spark ignition because lower octane gas is designed to ignite at a lower compression.

Reactions
City
Hurstbourne
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT-Elite
If gas mileage is important, and you can achieve "40mpg @ 75mph on 87 octane " with the VW-- get it. If I had to drive that many miles for work, I'd think about electric and the 100 MPG equivalent. I really like the Stinger, but my mileage is not great (or even good)-- but I don't drive a lot of miles so the $$ is not a major issue.

Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
yea that would be great.

So these are my results. I drove from Little Elm, TX to Edmond, OK, and back. The route was exactly the same with a route of US380>US77>I-35>I-235 [Eco Mode]; I-235>I-35>US77>US380 [Sport Mode]. The test conditions were almost identical with dry weather, little wind, and temperature ranging from 87° to 92°. There were no changes to the car with the same tires, and air filters, with the only caveat that I used 93 Octane with ECO mode, and 91 Octane in Sport Mode because many gas stations in OKC don't offer 93 Octane. I set a max of 83mph on cruise control and I was very light on the gas pedal for both when I needed to pass. From DFW to OKC, I used only Eco Mode, and on the return trip I used Sport Mode.

There were two things I observed. 1) Throttle Response was very subdued in ECO mode. 2) ECO Mode felt a bit more choppy in cruise control as if the ECU was making more frequent or drastic changes to maximize mileage.

[UPDATE 09/01/2021: I just realized in my original reply to you I said the speed range was 77 to 82 mph, then I did a test for 83mph. I was trying to figure out why I was not approaching 30mpg as I have in the past. Therefore, I will do the test again in a few weeks with the correct range. I suspect I will get get about 30mph if I did the test at 77mph vs 82mph. Overall, I noticed that when you use cruise control, the transmission goes into 8th gear regardless of mode, which is why I believe there is such a small difference between ECO and Sport. And given the throttle response with Sport is so much better, at this juncture, it is hard to justify using ECO.]

I hope this helped.

[Note: For a good portion of the way from Edmond to Little Elm, on I-35, I drove next to a Stinger GTS and the owner had put on what looked like a StingerHaus spoiler which really looked good, and the orange really popped which really suited the car.

ECO MODE

20210827_193903.jpg

SPORT MODE
20210829_132429.jpg

Last edited: