Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

Running E30 on the Stinger GT

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 Pearl Stinger GT-line 2.5L AWD
Hello!

I'm going with the JB4 and eventually going to run Map 5 since we have E85 down the road from me. Seems to be the best band for the buck. One questions... when running a mix of 91 Octane & E85 to create E30 and not straight E85, do you need to install this flex fuel kit as well:
https://burgertuning.com/products/f...-kia-genesis-3-3l?_pos=3&_sid=0f5e282ac&_ss=r

or will it be okay to use the stock lines if you get the ratio of gas to E85 correct? I know a few people who tested the gas here and it's ~71-73% Ethanol content... so we have to go by a mixing chart. Also, will running a mix affect any other engine components in an negative way over time? Eventually I'll get the BMS CAI as well. By the way, is there more than one tune on the current JB4 for running E85 and or E85 mix? Thanks!

Last edited:

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
It's an optional add-on, you don't have to have them. While not 100% accurate, there's an e85 gauge you can display on the jb4 app that will give you an idea how much you're running. I use that and simple math when I refuel; I usually don't get gas until at empty, so I pump 93 first and then calculate 30-33 % e85 based on however much premium I pumped. I've been doing it that way for two years (and the E85 I use has been shown to be 81% E) and haven't had any problems. 👍

As for maps, on the latest jb4 firmwares the e85 maps are 3 and 4. Map 5 is the old map 7 and the description says it may not be suitable for e85. I've tried map 5 a few times and my logs looked pretty bad, so, I just stick to maps 3 and 4 and have enjoyed excellent results.

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
It's an optional add-on, you don't have to have them. While not 100% accurate, there's an e85 gauge you can display on the jb4 app that will give you an idea how much you're running. I use that and simple math when I refuel; I usually don't get gas until at empty, so I pump 93 first and then calculate 30-33 % e85 based on however much premium I pumped. I've been doing it that way for two years (and the E85 I use has been shown to be 81% E) and haven't had any problems. 👍

As for maps, on the latest jb4 firmwares the e85 maps are 3 and 4. Map 5 is the old map 7 and the description says it may not be suitable for e85. I've tried map 5 a few times and my logs looked pretty bad, so, I just stick to maps 3 and 4 and have enjoyed excellent results.
Okay thanks for the updates... I didn't see anyone running E30 mentioning the kit, and for 349.00 that's sorta a waste then if not needed.
Do you run the fuel wire adapters, or did you just tap it? Probably not necessary unless you're concerned about KIA noticing that you did something that would indicating altering the vehicle in some manner...? ;)

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Okay thanks for the updates... I didn't see anyone running E30 mentioning the kit, and for 349.00 that's sorta a waste then if not needed.
Do you run the fuel wire adapters, or did you just tap it? Probably not necessary unless you're concerned about KIA noticing that you did something that would indicating altering the vehicle in some manner...? ;)
I have the fuel wires, yes. I don't even bother disconnecting the jb4 anymore though. I went in for an oil change once and forgot to take it off first. I figure well they know now, no sense in going through the hassle everytime.

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
I wanted to get the wires but burger won't sell them to me since I live in Cali! :/ Not even the catch can! extreme performance don't carry these items... gotta find a store that sells them and ships to Cali... eBay even :p

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
I was under the impression the fuel wires are already included on the newer JB4 model's enclosure? Or do you already have one?

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #10

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
By the way... what is the stock PSI mapping for the RWD. & AWD Stinger GT ? I'm reading various #'s in the forums... 9psi ... 12psi peak for RWD 14psi Peak for AWD ? Could you clarify please? thanks!
Most Stingers run about 11-12 psi stock. But, that can changed based on weather, the warmer it gets the less boost, the colder it gets the more boost you get.

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #12
Most Stingers run about 11-12 psi stock. But, that can changed based on weather, the warmer it gets the less boost, the colder it gets the more boost you get.
okay.. so on Map 0 JB4 I'm getting 12 - 13... maybe a 14 psi spike (on the jp4 boost gauge) and map 1 I get 15 - 16 17psi spike... it's 95 degrees out. about normal? I know it'll taper down @ higher rpms ...

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #13

By the way... I read about this adding a couple gallons of E85 to 91 Octane to bump it up to 93 Octane to run with Map 2? I know I can run E30 with Map 3 but would this work for Map 2 or will 91 run well with Map 2? I'm reading different answers on it and a bit confused.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
By the way... I read about this adding a couple gallons of E85 to 91 Octane to bump it up to 93 Octane to run with Map 2? I know I can run E30 with Map 3 but would this work for Map 2 or will 91 run well with Map 2? I'm reading different answers on it and a bit confused.

I don't know personally, since we have 93 here, but, I just watched clips of a Stinger also in CA, running a jb4 on map 2 and 91 octane. His car seems pretty quick so it appears 91 works just fine with map 2. 👍

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Yes you can run map 2 on 91oct, I ran my stinger on map 2 for 8 or 9 months with no issues..

Rat Fink

Reactions
City
Alpharetta
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 Lexus
Opening old thread. My understanding is that in the United States it is legal for service stations to sell E85 anywhere between 51% to 83% ethanol so it is best to spot check the ethanol percentage you are getting from your E85 source. I have heard of readings as low as 45%. Unless the E85 is on a dedicated hose, your first 1/2 Gal of E85 could be 87 octane regular w/up to 10% ethanol. That 1/2 gal of mystery gas is whats left in the hose and pump switch valve from the last paying customer. Oh well, word to the wise.