Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

Transmission tail shaft leaks.

HawaiiPD

Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
OK, I picked up my '18 Stinger 3.3 TT GT in July of this year. The car has been in an enclosed garage when not in use. I have a total of 711 miles
on it. Yes, less than 1k miles and;

The tail shaft of the transmission where the drive shaft exits has been leaking red trans fluid since day one. I took the car in to do the electrical
harness recall # 18V-754 and to fix the leaky trans.

The service department in Honolulu said: "There is no seal to be replaced, the factory says to replace the entire transmission."

Now to find a trans somewhere in the world, ship it to Honolulu and have the technician replace it. The service department says they have never done that job. Lucky me. And I can't drive it until the new part comes in, the leaky oil may start a fire. So the car sits and we wait, a month at the
least.

They have offered me a loaner, but I declined because I have two other cars to drive.

And no I didn't run over anything and bend the drive shaft. Only freeway driving and no stop and go.
Retail pricing for the trans is 10K US dollars.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
Yikes!

I find it absurd that the output shaft had no oil seal that can be replaced.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Agree. That does not sound right.

What even weirder is that it leaking so soon, which could actually mean that a seal was not sat properly when the transmission was built.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Focus ST(Stinger GT1 soon)
Yikes!

I find it absurd that the output shaft had no oil seal that can be replaced.
It would seem but I have seen that with my Ford Focus ST. No parts are available at all for the trans as Ford says to replace if any issue shows up(which is common nowadays), and since the trans is only available in that specific car, it was(still very hard now) nearly impossible to get even used parts for years and new was out of the question(and still is). I had to replace the input shaft seal on my 4th trans(yes I had horrible luck with that trans but they are known for issues) with one from the 5 speed trans(which is similar but not at the same time) and that was because a guy in my car club knew a guy at Tasca who was very familiar with the focus and managed to figure this out and get me the part which is not searchable on Tasca surprisingly.

Kia is just following the rest of the industry in the fact that full replacement is easy(sometimes cheaper due to labor of a opening a trans, if that is how the seal is installed which I don't know for certain in this case) than getting specific parts and then having a dealer install it.

Devo9er

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
If it were me, and based on your super low mileage, I would get in touch with Corporate. Be polite but firm and say you're not waiting and the circumstances the dealership claims are ridiculous. Tell them you want a buy back or a new vehicle. My bet is they would honor it if it is how you say. Let them sort it out on their time and money.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
If it were me, and based on your super low mileage, I would get in touch with Corporate. Be polite but firm and say you're not waiting and the circumstances the dealership claims are ridiculous. Tell them you want a buy back or a new vehicle. My bet is they would honor it if it is how you say. Let them sort it out on their time and money.
In keeping with this idea, I'd make sure Regional and Corporate were in the loop on this and see what real options they'll give you!

OP
H

HawaiiPD

Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #7
OK, update on transmission.
Kia in Honolulu replaced the leaky trans with a new one and did the wiring harness update.
Picked it up on 01-21-19, so they took 19 days to get a new trans and install it.

The leak should be gone. I did buy the 10 year 120 month warrantee, so no worries.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Kia in Honolulu replaced the leaky trans with a new one and did the wiring harness update.
Picked it up on 01-21-19, so they took 19 days to get a new trans and install it.

The leak should be gone. I did buy the 10 year 120 month warrantee, so no worries.
[MENTION=1337]HawaiiPD[/MENTION] how did you spot the leak? Did you just see drip marks in the driveway or was it more than that?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Glad to hear it was taken care of. Have gotten under the car double check if it's indeed gone?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2

Glad it's all resolved.

OP
H

HawaiiPD

Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #11
Yes, I park the Kia in an enclosed garage with a white concrete floor. When backing out, I noticed the red trans fluid spots
on the floor.