Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

(3.3TT) Another Front Brake/Rotor Problem... Lost For Words

Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
** 2020 Stinger GT RWD **

Hey everyone! :)

I know there have been many posts about the issue with the brakes shaking the car while slowing down and the whole "bad pad vs bad rotor" debates going on. I have read the sticky and have read many of the threads already written on here.

I did try to "bed" my pads as suggested on the forums already but the issue came back.

Here is my problem.

Car has 3040 miles on it. I bring it in to the dealership since the entire car is shuddering and shaking under braking. They confirm the problem and REPLACE the front brake pads AND resurface the rotors. Fast forward about a week and less than 100 miles later and I noticed the same issue has returned; but only happened maybe once or twice on the drive then went away. But the car is not braking properly as it should, just like when the issue was showing itself before. My vehicle is violently shaking when slowing down, especially at higher speeds, and the vibrating feeling is coming from the brakes.

I have owned and worked with different performance vehicles before and I know this is not normal. Should I contact the same Kia dealership and have them take another look or contact Kia of North America about this? I just want my car fixed. I do not know anymore if the issues are the pads or rotors but for a car with less than 3150 miles on it this is crazy. We haven't even owned the car for six months yet. This is really scaring us if I'm being completely honest.

I am currently located in Yonkers 10704. Please let me know what should be done. I am open to all suggestions. I am not happy at all that this issue has returned after less than 100 miles and not even a week has passed yet. Very alarming for a vehicle that cost this much in my opinion... and we have owned Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes in the past.

Thank you all! :)

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
You probably don't want to read this, because no one really wants to spend their own money to fix an issue on a brand new car. But, if you want to save yourself future headaches AND greatly improve brake performance, you should probably invest in aftermarket rotors and/or pads. I spent 120 bucks on drilled/slotted rotors and another hundred on ceramic pads; my only regret is I wasted time fighting Kia and didn't buy them sooner. Braking is smooth as a hot knife against butter now.

That's just one option, if you want to improve performance and not have to deal with the issue returning. If you want Kia to make it right on their own dime, then you can try calling the "premium" support line and open a case; believe me they are well aware of the issue, though they'll likely pretend it's the first they've heard of it.

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
So I have to buy aftermarket pads on a brand new car to stop having this issue lol?

I am going to contact Kia of North America and then my local Kia dealership and have them fix this for the second time.

They stated in their report from the first repair that they resurfaced the front rotors and replaced the front pads.

Should I have them replace all four rotors and replace all four pads? Even though the issue will continue to return?

"INSTALLED 58101 J5A51 : PAD KIT-FRONT DISC B / Qty: 1
TECH PERFORMED ROTOR RESURFACING TEST DROVE
INCIDENT RESOLVED OPERATING AS DESIGNED"

Old Timer

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
You probably don't want to read this, because no one really wants to spend their own money to fix an issue on a brand new car. But, if you want to save yourself future headaches AND greatly improve brake performance, you should probably invest in aftermarket rotors and/or pads. I spent 120 bucks on drilled/slotted rotors and another hundred on ceramic pads; my only regret is I wasted time fighting Kia and didn't buy them sooner. Braking is smooth as a hot knife against butter now.

That's just one option, if you want to improve performance and not have to deal with the issue returning. If you want Kia to make it right on their own dime, then you can try calling the "premium" support line and open a case; believe me they are well aware of the issue, though they'll likely pretend it's the first they've heard of it.

Old Timer

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Pray tell where you got these drilled/slotted rotors and pads for the $$ you quoted. And these pieces are for the front Brembos??

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Pray tell where you got these drilled/slotted rotors and pads for the $$ you quoted. And these pieces are for the front Brembos??
I got the rotors from r1concepts.com (best prices but they run out of stock quickly); I went with the elines in silver.

The pads came from khartunerz.com; I went with Stoptech, but don't necessarily recommend them (they're powerful but quite dusty). They have plenty of other options though, if you're willing to spend a few more bucks.

IMG_20200725_125101610.jpg

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
So I have to buy aftermarket pads on a brand new car to stop having this issue lol?
It sounds crazy but that's the only thing that worked for me, and others, from what I've heard. The problem is they're going to replace it with stuff that's only going to be a temporary fix. You can try the high-speed-stop fix, and that too will only be a temporary solution.

Going aftermarket is the easiest way to save yourself the annoyance of this happening over and over. If you contact the support line and tell them your concerns it's possible they will reimburse you if you end paying out of pocket. They offered to do so for me but I never followed up with them after I got new pads and rotors.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I didn’t have the problem for 10,000 miles and then it came up. Had my front rotors and pads replaced. Still came back and I didn’t go back within the supposed 12,000 miles brake warranty. I just ended up getting slotted rotors and aftermarket front pads. I want to get rear pads soon though. Be careful with the aftermarket pad bedding process though

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
Amazing replies and information!

Thank you everyone!

I will have them fix it a second time with OEM parts... but... if this happens a third time... maybe have them replace the entire vehicle or get a refund?

My only concern with using aftermarket parts is if this issue happens again then they can try to play games with me...

I love the car to death and I just want this bullshit resolved. It's getting very old.

Foolish question but what is the corporate number?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
will have them fix it a second time with OEM parts... but... if this happens a third time... maybe have them replace the entire vehicle or get a refund?

My only concern with using aftermarket parts is if this issue happens again then they can try to play games with me...
With aftermarket rotors & pads you won't have that problem. It's not the rotors that is causing the problem, it's the factory brake pads, they're garbage. If they do replace the rotors & pads, order yourself some aftermarket brake pads & that will elevate the problem..

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
So just so I understand...

1 - Get aftermarket pads (front only or all four? / which brand?)
2 - Ask Kia to reimburse the cost of the purchase or at least cover the installation/labor fee
3 - Bed them in "properly" by following the guidelines on the forums
4 - Accept that this is "normal" when purchasing a brand new flagship vehicle at this price point
5 - Never worry about the vibrations and thudding and shuddering while driving ever again

:) :) :)

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Go to this website..
https://www.khartunerz.com/Stinger_c_889.html

Get front an rear, the stock pads they use on the U.S.A. kia Stingers are a different pad then the Euro spec pads. Americans don't like squeaky pads apparently so the pads in the U.S. leave a film on the rotors that's the problem.

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #13
Thank you for the link! :)

Also, again, thank you everyone else for all of your time and help! :)

OCsgt

Reactions
City
Mission Viejo
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 GT1
2020 GT1

I Have put 800 miles and sounds like pads drag on rotor. Suspension feels like im on train tracks on the freeway. Kinda disappointed wondering if i should upgrade brakes, rotors and shocks?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
2020 GT1

I Have put 800 miles and sounds like pads drag on rotor. Suspension feels like im on train tracks on the freeway. Kinda disappointed wondering if i should upgrade brakes, rotors and shocks?
First, check your tire pressure. Bring it down to at least 36psi.
You could also have something stuck between the pass and rotor like a small rock.
If you can easily reproduce the grinding sound from your brakes, I suggest you take it to the dealer. And if your suspension still has problems with the correct amount of pressure in the tires, that should be another dealer visit before you upgrade entering with that little of miles.

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #16
First, check your tire pressure. Bring it down to at least 36psi.
You could also have something stuck between the pass and rotor like a small rock.
If you can easily reproduce the grinding sound from your brakes, I suggest you take it to the dealer. And if your suspension still has problems with the correct amount of pressure in the tires, that should be another dealer visit before you upgrade entering with that little of miles.
Silly question but should 36 PSI be when the vehicle is sitting in the driveway and cold?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I run mine at 34 "cold" in the summer here in Arizona an 36 in the winter, the reason is because the summers are so HOT.. I agree 36psi will work fine..

OCsgt

Reactions
City
Mission Viejo
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 GT1
Thanks for input

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #20
Thank you very much! I'll set it to 36-PSI on all four corners.

This goes for any tire and whether we have 18-inch or 19-inch wheels correct?

I appreciate the information! :)