Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

(GT 3.3TT RWD) Tires For Winter / Unsure The Risks

Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hey everyone! :)

Hope we're all staying safe and sound during this COVID-19 crisis. :)

So I own a 2020 Stinger GT RWD with the 19-inch wheels with the factory (OEM) summer performance tires. I plan to move from sunny south Florida to New York right outside the city near the Bronx/Yonkers area. My concern is that I obviously should not risk driving in the cold, let alone the ice and snow, while having summer tires. But unfortunately due to budget and limited space of where I will be moving to I am unable to purchase a second set of tires. Is there a chance that if I purchase a good reputable brand of All-Season tires and mount them on my car I can drive (safely and slowly of course) through even New York level snow and ice?

Thank you everyone! :D

P.S. - Please don't sugar coat anything or play this down. If it's incredibly foolish and terribly risky to use All-Season tires then tell me so. I am just trying to figure out my options. Worst case scenario I will purchase winter tires but then will have to unfortunately use them during the warmer seasons. So please be blunt and honest with me.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
What size tires are on your car now?

225 or 255 rears?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I was stationed in upstate New York for three years an I had all-season tires on my Altima 3.5L, they sucked ass. If it doesn't snow a lot you would be ok but if you do end up getting a set of winter tires, go with Blizzaks. That's a popular brand, you can get them cheaper off Tire Rack..

Last edited:

gagz316

Reactions
City
Montreal
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT AWD 2018
If you don't have the choice to have only one set of tires, go with all seasons (and stay home when there is a lot of snow or icing rain) or go all weathers (https://info.kaltire.com/whats-difference-weather-tires-season-tires/). I don't think it's a good idea to run winter tires in the summer, it's as bad as running summer tires in the winter...

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I don't think it's a good idea to run winter tires in the summer
Your right, If you ran winter tires in the summer they would get destroyed. It would be like a race car running wet tires on a dry track they would last about 2 laps..

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
Hello everyone!

I have decided to go with all-season tires since space is very limited where I live and that is my only option. I have been trying to find some locations to store my current stock/OEM summer tires but have had no luck. Currently in Yonkers 10704.

Could someone please provide me guidance and advice on the best route for tires? I have found four different ones online. Which would be the best and safest pick in the opinion of the forum? My greatest concern is driving in snow and ice; especially on steep hills.

Thanks all! :)

[ 2020 Kia Stinger GT RWD / 19-inch stock OEM STAGGERED WHEELS AND TIRES CURRENTLY ]

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A/S+3++(W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated)&frontTire=24YR9PSAS3PLXL&rearTire=535YR9PSAS3PLXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Kia&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Stinger GT&autoModClar=

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=G-MAX+AS-05&frontTire=24WR9GMAS05XL&rearTire=535WR9GMAS05XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Kia&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Stinger GT&autoModClar=

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Signature+HP&frontTire=24YR9SIGHPXL&rearTire=535YR9SIGHPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Kia&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Stinger GT&autoModClar=

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06&frontTire=24YR9DWS06XL&rearTire=535YR9DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Kia&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Stinger GT&autoModClar=

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Hey everyone! :)

Hope we're all staying safe and sound during this COVID-19 crisis. :)

So I own a 2020 Stinger GT RWD with the 19-inch wheels with the factory (OEM) summer performance tires. I plan to move from sunny south Florida to New York right outside the city near the Bronx/Yonkers area. My concern is that I obviously should not risk driving in the cold, let alone the ice and snow, while having summer tires. But unfortunately due to budget and limited space of where I will be moving to I am unable to purchase a second set of tires. Is there a chance that if I purchase a good reputable brand of All-Season tires and mount them on my car I can drive (safely and slowly of course) through even New York level snow and ice?

Thank you everyone! :D

P.S. - Please don't sugar coat anything or play this down. If it's incredibly foolish and terribly risky to use All-Season tires then tell me so. I am just trying to figure out my options. Worst case scenario I will purchase winter tires but then will have to unfortunately use them during the warmer seasons. So please be blunt and honest with me.
I have a winter car. Please do yourself a favor and buy a $5k daily driver. Your Stinger will thank you as well as the resale value putting those miles on it. I only drive the Stinger on nice days and the daily driver gets all the attention. A set of tires will probably set you back a grand so you might as well just buy a DD. It's been worth it in my day to buy one to keep the salt and miles down on the "fun" car.

If finances don't allow that, a good winter tire that the guys explained above is your best bet. Remember, the skinnier the tire, the easier it cuts through snow. Don't go buying a 275 winter tire LOL I'd do 245 at most.

Ravage

Reactions
City
Hayti
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT AWD
Well, I have experience with the Continental extreme contact DWS 06 and the Michelin pilot sport A/S3 on a rear wheel drive performance vehicle,255 45 18's. What I experienced was the Continental had a smoother ride with less road noise than the Michelin when new. The Michelin had better dry traction, turn in , and better wet traction. With the Continental the car will let you know real quick you need to slow down when it's raining. Both where decent in the snow of southeastern Missouri. You have to realize that in a average winter we only have two weeks of snow or ice. Didn't get the chance to drive the Michelin's on ice, but the continentals were ok as long as you took it slow, not try to run with the FWD guys. So I hope this helps good luck.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
I've used the conti DWS with good success as all seasons (mazda6). I think you choose correctly with the all seasons given the constraints. To the other comments on the thread - snow tires in summer aren't bad. Sure, they're soft and won't handle well compared to an all season, but I've been driving on them for most of the summer (wrx) until I had time to put summer wheels on. I know folks that even drag raced with winter tires (in summer) because they were soft & sticky.

good luck in winter - I enjoy snow driving personally...its all the other ppl on the road I don't like. Winter driving w/RWD will keep you on your toes, especially up big hills.

Glad you didn't go into winter with summer tires...they'd be hard as a rock and very unsafe.

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #10
1 - Thank you everyone for your replies! This is really good information and I appreciate it greatly! :)

2 - Due to budget and limited space I am not able to purchase another vehicle as a daily driver or winter beater. I would love to but it's just not an option.

3 - I am worried that if I go with all season tires I will still be at risk of losing control since my car is RWD and we do have some pretty steep hills and turns here and there. My bigger fear is the ice.

4 - How bad will it be if I purchase winter/snow tires and use them during the summer? I understand they will wear out very quickly but can it be dangerous? The idea of spending $800 for all season tires that aren't even that good in snow or ice when I could spend $900 on winter tires that will keep me safe seems better... assuming I can drive them year round... Thoughts?

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
4 - How bad will it be if I purchase winter/snow tires and use them during the summer? I understand they will wear out very quickly but can it be dangerous? The idea of spending $800 for all season tires that aren't even that good in snow or ice when I could spend $900 on winter tires that will keep me safe seems better... assuming I can drive them year round... Thoughts?
I drove winters on my G35 I have about 3 years ago and it was fine in the warmer months. If I remember correctly, I put them on in September. Still warm, didn't snow for awhile but I said what the heck. They were actually quieter than the Firestone's I had on there before I mounted the winters. You will sacrifice heavily on the performance side so I'd shy away from spirited driving during the winter months. On a car like this and it being RWD, winter tires are a must. But, like everyone else's reply, just my .02.

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #12
I drove winters on my G35 I have about 3 years ago and it was fine in the warmer months. If I remember correctly, I put them on in September. Still warm, didn't snow for awhile but I said what the heck. They were actually quieter than the Firestone's I had on there before I mounted the winters. You will sacrifice heavily on the performance side so I'd shy away from spirited driving during the winter months. On a car like this and it being RWD, winter tires are a must. But, like everyone else's reply, just my .02.
Good info and I appreciate it!

Yeah, I personally drive like a safe grandpa whenever it is drizzling or there are sharp turns or steep hills. I am a very cautious driver. I like being on the safer side of things.

Just so I understand correctly... assuming I am driving safely... winter tires should be okay being used in the summer? In the winter, when temperatures drop under 50 and there is any snow/ice (or rain anytime during the year) I go very slowly and safely.

My only concern with winter tires in the summer is that they might blow out from what I have read online but that only seems to happen if people are speeding and/or acting foolish.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Good info and I appreciate it!

Yeah, I personally drive like a safe grandpa whenever it is drizzling or there are sharp turns or steep hills. I am a very cautious driver. I like being on the safer side of things.

Just so I understand correctly... assuming I am driving safely... winter tires should be okay being used in the summer? In the winter, when temperatures drop under 50 and there is any snow/ice (or rain anytime during the year) I go very slowly and safely.

My only concern with winter tires in the summer is that they might blow out from what I have read online but that only seems to happen if people are speeding and/or acting foolish.
Yes, sounds like you'll be fine with winter tires in summer. If you get the itch for more performance you can change tires. A compromise are the sport winter tires - not sure if they have them in your size, but that's what I run on my wrx in winter...they use winter tire compound, but better performance than traditional snow tires. I believe dunlop winter sport 3D are what I have if that helps

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #14