Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

Transmission shaking, check engine light, and choppy shifting

Bucky

Reactions
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
I was driving on a 50 mph road, took a right turn, and pressed the accelerator. The shifting was extremely abrupt and choppy. Then the engine light came on and the car began to shutter/shake. Not a mild vibration, but actually shaking me in my seat. I pulled over and the light went out. When I pressed the accelerator again, the light came back on and the car started shaking again. I limped it home, but at any speed when I pressed the accelerator the light would come on and the shaking came back. It seems like the engine itself is running smoothly so I suspect the transmission. I had it towed in to the dealer. The not-so-helpful woman who called me back said she started the car to move it after it came off the truck and the car is just fine, there is no check engine light. I explained (again) what the issue was. She said that if the engine light is not on then there is no way for them to diagnose the problem because the codes go away when the engine light turns off. If they hook it up to the diagnostic tool and find no codes then they will charge me $150 and hand the car back with no repair. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? Is there a known issue with the transmission? I KNOW that something is wrong with the car. How do I get the dealer to investigate and fix this problem? The car has approximately 37,000 miles so the drivetrain is under factory warranty. I've only had the car for about a month. 3 weeks of outstanding driving, 1 week of anxiety.

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT1
Reactions
City
St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
I had the same experience regarding the car shaking/check engine light when accelerating. In my case it was 2 bad coil packs and 2 cracked spark plugs.

OP
Bucky

Bucky

Reactions
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #4
I had the same experience regarding the car shaking/check engine light when accelerating. In my case it was 2 bad coil packs and 2 cracked spark plugs.
Dealer finally called back and said the coils are bad - same issue you had. The parts won't be here for 10 days, but at least I have an answer other than "no light".

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome, glad they found the issue an their going to fix it..

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Welcome. Glad the dealer stepped up to actually diagnose the car

Reactions
City
Mccormick
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT2
It was obvious the person that called is not qualified. Like stated before if you get a check eng.light a code will be stored in the ECU. Hope you got a loaner.