Welcome to the #1 Genesis G90 Forum and Genesis G90 community dedicated to Genesis G90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G90 Forum today!

venting waste to atmosphere vs. return to intake

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Curious, since I believe Kia equips our vehicles with a wastegate actuator controlled by the ecu(I am guessing to avoid some of us easily increasing boost), would there be any drawback to venting this to the atmosphere to give that nice bov sound?

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Our system is designed to be recirculated, normally venting to the atmosphere might give you a performance loss, but it's minimal . The only reason to vent to atmosphere is if your tune is calibrated for a MAF-less tune, via speed-density. If you want to do it for the sound reasons then it's fine.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
We do have wastegate actuators on our turbos, shouldn't be any drawbacks if you want to install a BOV.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Curious, since I believe Kia equips our vehicles with a wastegate actuator controlled by the ecu(I am guessing to avoid some of us easily increasing boost), would there be any drawback to venting this to the atmosphere to give that nice bov sound?
Look for some videos of the K&N Typhoon intake and other full-replacement intakes. The blowoff sound is fairly loud just by making that change.

OP
reverend_tdeath
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #5
Look for some videos of the K&N Typhoon intake and other full-replacement intakes. The blowoff sound is fairly loud just by making that change.
Yea, I hooked the hoses back up that purge/return to the intake, for some reason I was thinking it was the hot side it was returning, but since that doesn't seem to be the case I see why there is a performance loss. Going to order the typhoon setup, are the gains marginal? I noticed a slight difference in response just by pulling the factory boxes and attaching a couple of cheap filters to test.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
[MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION] pulled out the factory filters and noticed a small improvement in his 1/4 mile time, I'd say there are some marginal differences.